Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Rhetoric


            Rhetoric is something that I’ve understood for a long time since I’ve obviously learned how to write in school for the past few years. My experience with rhetoric has been limited to a few things; writing for my teachers, talking on social media and writing small “articles” on games. While I’ve written other things these subjects are what I’ve had the most experience writing. As described in the texts rhetoric is about controlling how and what you write to be suitable to your audience. “Understanding Rhetoric” describes in a general context how communication is key in all aspects of writing and that it is all about the writer trying to connect with the reader, just done in a visual format. In “Murder!” it analyses rhetoric in a very finite way describing every little aspect as to why, how and where you are writing. Without understanding rhetoric its very hard to even begin writing since it is all about who you’re writing to. This even applies to writing to yourself in journals as the style of writing is geared specifically to be read by you and only you. Regardless if I read the articles or not I still understand rhetoric in its most basic form. A lot of the stuff I used to write were mainly explanations and formal pieces since I didn’t take much time to write in any other situation. Ive had experience writing informative theories/guides to certain people, mostly with video games since that’s something I have a lot of unnecessary knowledge in. Other than that I think rhetoric is pretty prevalent in my writing since I am always trying to explain something to people, this is most likely because I have a lot of trouble doing it in while speaking.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. At this point in our lives, we all know, or should know, how to communicate in certain situations. We may not have called what/ how we communicate rhetoric, but we know what to do. I hope that going over all of this is leading to something interesting that we didn't know already. I know how to communicate, but I may not know the term for how I'm communicating. I really don't think that it's that important in the real world either. Who is going to stop me and say "hey, what's the word for knowing your audience, and how to communicate with them. If anything, I'll google it. Sorry to rant on your comment by the way.

    ReplyDelete