Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Navigating Genres

Genres are annoying


While I understand that the term “genre” has an extremely general meaning since it can fit into a variety of things I for some reason find it very annoying to group them as such. The author does happen to describe it very easily though, stating how different types of writing such as responses made via social media are included as their own types of genres. It’s interesting but nevertheless I still find it very annoying to think about as a whole but its still apart of our daily lives as we categorize movies, books, and even different styles of art into genres. I do appreciate it in the fact that I can properly organize and label things I like to do so that it is easier for people to understand and connect to. That’s where I feel like genres are important, especially with art because with certain people you have to let them know exactly what style of art they are looking at otherwise they wont understand it. I know this from experience, especially with photography as most people don’t consider or even relate it to being a form of art. By telling people beforehand that my photographs are to be considered abstract and surreal before they look at them they’ll be more likely to understand what the photo is and even why I took it. I only bring this up because this is something that has happened to me this past weekend as I had recently visited my family and shown them some of my work. Because most of them correlate photography as being commercial they were very confused and did not understand what they were looking at. Despite how annoying genres are to talk about they’re still very important and without them it would be very hard for some people to understand how to approach things.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on the fact that genres are annoying. Yes they may serve as a directional guide to aid those who need help determining whether or not they may like something, but they still do more harm than good.
    The thing that bothers me most about genres is the fact that they seem to deter individuals more than they attract. For instance, indie films are a genre getting a lot of attention in recent years. However many people I know are largely against indie films strictly because they believe all indie films are considered low budget. Genres sometime provide an opinion for an individual before they actually take the time to explore the genre.
    This deterrence is unfair for those artists that are victim to genres because the general public - or themselves - label them in such genre. Whether an artist wants to be part of a genre is their opinion; but genres have the tendency to generalize things to a broader spectrum than they deserve.

    ReplyDelete