Thursday, June 11, 2015

Artist Statement

 
There have been many times when I have been indecisive about what I call myself. Originally I told people that I was a photographer. It was a time when I hadn’t developed my style yet and the current state of the photographic world was unknown to me. After studying its history, photography to me was considered to be an ever-changing art form, never remaining consistent but still constrained by the societal demands of the time. 
            In my eyes photography is an art and nothing less. While I can understand that a great many photographers today are very commercialized to make a living and take many of their photos in the pursuit of business, which is not the case for me. I see this as the standard for photographers of this age, because of this I am not a photographer, I am an artist. The images I create are made to reflect my feelings and how I view the world. While a lot of it is very personal and hard to interpret sometimes they are all taken in the heat of the moment, none of it is planned. Most of the time, I make my images when I’m overwhelmed with the need to create. It is not something I can explain well in words, which is why my photos exist in the first place.

            My eventual goal as an artist is to move people to make more art, whether it be like mine or completely different. Art is a very important part of my life; it is my passion, my friend, my very being. Every day I see people with no passion or drive in their lives, they may be successful or they may be dirt poor, life to me seems meaningless without some form of drive or deep love for something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment